At Graf Enterprise, we are often asked by clients if they would be better off with a patio or a deck. There isn’t a definitive answer as to which is better because it depends on your location, tastes and lifestyle needs. But there are pros and cons to each which will help you decide. Here are some of the main things to consider:
- Can be quicker, easier construction, especially if raised above ground level
- Natural looking material
- Can be slightly cheaper depending on material used
- Requires regular maintenance depending on material such as painting/ staining or power washing
- Longevity (more of an issue with untreated softwood decking)
- Can be very slippery in winter
- Easy maintenance (if you’ve chosen a good quality paving)
- Wide variety of colors, shapes and textures
- Paving looks good with a larger selection of property styles
- Longevity (if you’ve chosen a good quality paving)
- More intensive construction required underneath a patio, especially in areas with a lot of ground movement where reinforcement is needed
- Environmental impact of using concrete
Things To Think About
The place we like to start with is the style and type of property someone has. If you live in the middle of Mystic CT in an old historical house, decking probably isn’t going to be the best material to use as it won’t keep with the house style.
However, if you live on the water or in the a more rural area, decking will look great. So think about the type of house you have first and foremost, before taking into account the pro’s and con’s above.
What do you do if a patio and deck would look equally as nice? Does one material draw you more than the other? What will you use your patio or deck for? Lounging, entertaining etc.
Do you like simple, clean lines or lots of interesting details and textures? If you want lots of detail and interesting features, then a patio will be a better choice for you. It’s much easier to create interesting patterns and different textures with a patio. However, with a deck you can add multi-levels.
Have It All!
If you really can’t make up your mind, another option is to just have both. A combination of a patio and decking looks great with homes, the contrast is really effective.
It’s Important You Design Your Deck or Patio Properly…
There’s a lot more that goes into creating a great looking patio or deck than we’ve discussed here. The design shapes you use play an even more critical role than which materials you use. So it’s really important to spend a little bit of time deciding which shapes will suite your home and work with a professional contractor.
If you need a home improvement specialist in New London County CT to work with you on a renovation project, patio or deck, Graf Enterprise will be happy to schedule a meeting with you and answer all your questions.